Let’s clear up the major misconception about protein, that is that protein will make you bulk up.
Sure, protein is used to build muscle and to provide structure to the body, helping to provide the form to your bones, skin, hair and even fingernails. But protein has other functions too – like fuelling nearly every single metabolic action in the body. Second to water, protein is essential to life!
Protein provides the building blocks for everything from digestive enzymes (for digestion), to neurotransmitters (for mood), antibodies (for immunity) and muscle tissues (for repair). Plus, protein is needed for blood sugar control, helping to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
If you’re not getting enough protein in your diet, your body will let you know:
- Your energy is all over the place throughout the day
- You crave sugar and/or caffeine to keep you going throughout the day
- You’re always hungry and often hangry
- You’ve been told by your doctor or a nutritionist that you have an increased need for protein
- You recover slowly from injuries
- Your hair, skin or nails feel dull
- You’re often weak or tired
If any of these symptoms apply to you, you may need more protein! A good place to start is to aim for 10-15 grams of protein at every meal.
Our line of fermented proteins are a delicious way to support your whole body. Even if you don’t consider yourself a protein shake type of person, there are still plenty of ways to incorporate this important macro into your diet! You can add protein powder to your baking experiments (like muffins, loaves, and even pancakes!) or make your favourite energy ball recipe even more energizing.